clay

 

2007 Dedication Plaque

The original memorial, unveiled on August 17th, 1911, was dedicated to the humane efforts of Marie Diehl (1855-1907), a founder of the Frederick Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, now the Frederick County Humane Society.

The 12-foot tall monument depicted Hebe, the Greek goddess of youth and spring, and featured drinking fountains " for man and beast." In addition to a fountain for people, there was a large basin for horses and two on the sides for dogs and cats.

The bas-relief here portrays the original memorial where it stood at the corner of Church and Court Streets.
And, in that monument's tradition, these fountains are "to furnish refreshing drink" to the citizens of Frederick and their beloved animal friends.

 


From Clay to Foundry

oringinalWorking from pieces of the original fountain This section is all that remains of the original base and can be seen on the right in the new bas-relief.

The images to the left is of the completed clay fountain with the bas-relief created by Toby Mendez in place. The sculpture is engaged to a wooden platform which will serve as the support for mold-making, the next step in the bronze casting process.

newReconstructed in clay, Charles adapted the panel to be the new fountain's access panel. Left is the final clay. Like the original this panel will be located just above the pet basin.

 

waxOn November 16, 2006, the City of Frederick approvedthe relief for delivery to the foundry. The product delivered to New Arts Foundry included the relief, the sculpted components of the fountain, and the fabricated structure.

The waxes were approved on March 23rd for the next stage in the process is "gating," the final wax preparation before the ceramic shell is applied. The ceramic shell is the high-temperature mold in which the bronze is cast.

The photo shows Nancy of New Arts Foundry touching-up the waxes of the relief and fountain components.

History of the First Diehl Memorial

diehlThe original memorial, unveiled on August 17, 1911, was located near the corner of Church and Court Streets in historic Frederick, and was dedicated to the humane efforts of Miss Marie Diehl, a founder of the Frederick Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The fountain was approximateyl 12-foot tall with a large basin for horses and a smaller one for dogs and cats. In the 1940's it was damaged by a automobile to the extent that it had to be removed. It was stored by the City for many years, but now it resides in the Frederick Womens Civic Club garden standing on the only remaining portion of the original base.

originalThe figure was based on the 1806 sculpture by Berthel Thorvaldsen (1770- 1844). The daughter of Zeus and Hera, Hebe is the goddess of Youth and Spring, and proffers the cup of immortality at the table of the gods. Hebe stands on her plinth, raising the drinking bowl with her left hand, her gaze focusing on it. She holds the jug with a lowered right hand beside her thigh.

Copied in cast zinc by the J. L. Mott Company of New York, N. Y. the figure was featured in their 1910 catalog and offered several fountain bases.* Photo from Mott catalog.

The City of Baton Rouge in February 2006 re-dedicated their Hebe which was re-cast in bronze, replacing the original zinc casting. In 1914, the local branch of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union chose the statue from a foundry catalogue and donated it to the city. It is also one of the most popular outdoor sculptures in the city and offered drinking basins for animals.**

Copies cast by the Mott Foundry can be found all over the country and are often matched with a unigue bases with many featuring fountains, and perhaps the most well-known copy is the Cogswell Fountain in Tompkins Square Park, New York.

Sources:
* www.robinsoniron.com, Newsletter, Spring, 2006
** www.2theadovate.com, February 12, 2006


   
      MMVI-MMXV Fountainworks Studio. All rights reserved.